Nellie Carlson School Council
We have a wonderful group of parents that have helped to organize and facilitate many activities and events for students and parents. We are always looking to add new volunteers to the team of parents we currently have assisting in different capacities. Please contact your Chair at email@example.com if you are interested in being part of our team!
What the Alberta School Councils’ Association shares about the work of School Councils:
School Councils are structured groups of Parents, Principals, Teachers, Students and Community Representatives who work together to effectively support and enhance student learning. They provide a method for members of the School Community to consult with and offer advice to the Principal and School Board.
Parents play a vital role in student success and can participate in decisions that impact student learning through School Council. By contributing knowledge, perspective and ideas at School Council or COSC meetings, parents are actively contributing to School Community and School District success.
The Government of Alberta recognizes the value of Parents and the Community in the education of children and by law requires School Councils in every school operated by a School Board in Alberta.
Established School Councils:
- Focus on what is best for all students in the School
- Consider the interests of all School stakeholders
- Develops, maintain and reflect the culture of the School
- Represent the Parent voice in the School Community
- The Alberta School Councils’ Association provides support and resources, including knowledge and skill development, consultation and workshops, to enhance meaningful parent contribution and participation in School Councils and COSC’s across the province.
School Council Meetings
School Council meetings take place once a month. Meeting notices and minutes can be found on SchoolZone under the Resources tab. We look forward to seeing you at one or as many meetings as you can attend.